Search This Blog

Sunday 8 April 2012

Translate this: Roadshow

Would you say... that you wouldn’t have known it until someone told you, as was in my case? It is only until recently that I know...


Roadshow is translated as Jerayawara.


We don’t see it that frequently though, maybe that’s why, but the Malay word for it is right here > Gerbang Maya Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka.


Here is an example of a very popular roadshow that has become a household name in Malaysia. It's purpose though, remains vague:



Here is a cut and paste from PRPM on its meaning:
Jerayawara
persembahan, pameran, ceramah dsb yg diadakan oleh seseorang atau se­kum­pulan orang (penyanyi, ahli politik dsb) yg ber­­kunjung dr satu tempat ke tempat lain dgn tujuan memberikan hiburan, menjelaskan sesuatu isu kpd orang ramai, mempromosikan sesuatu dsb: persatuan itu melaksanakan program pendedahan dan pendidikan, termasuk beberapa siri ~ yg meliputi seminar dan pa­meran.

But I couldn’t fine the meaning of jeraya in PRPM which prompted me to scour the Internet. Then, I stumble upon a link that took me to a very established English-Malay translator who goes by the name of Mek Yam. She pointed out the origin of jeraya, which is a slang in Sarawak meaning jalan raya (road). Fair enough, I thought. What about wara? Well that's an easy one because PRPM has its meaning. It’s pemberitahuan, pengumuman, pengisytiharan.


Personally, I feel like the resulting word is plucked out of the wind. But they do have a solid explanation to it. And it is way much better than if we were forced to use a stupido-and-lazyo-sounding ‘rodsho’.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences.
    Spanish Translation Services

    ReplyDelete